Skip to main content
Department of the Attorney General
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Death Certificate

On payment of a fee and subject to eligibility, the Western Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages can provide a certificate from a registration that occurred and was registered in Western Australia since 1 September 1841. If the event occurred in another State, contact the relevant Registry Office.

Who is eligible to apply for a certificate?

The current spouse, current defacto or children named on the death certificate can apply for the certificate.

A person must be at least 16 years of age to apply for a certificate and must provide three forms of their identification.

See the Registry’s Death Certificate Access Policy for full eligibility requirements.

If you are not eligible to apply for a certificate you must provide the written consent or authority from an eligible person and you must also provide three forms of identification for yourself and that person (see certification requirements and Letter of Authority download on this page).  

There is unrestricted access and no identification requirements are needed for deaths that occurred 30 years ago or more.

Identification requirements

When applying for a certificate in person three forms of identification must be provided. Photocopies must be certified by a qualified person.

When applying by post, three forms of photocopied and certified identification documents must be provided with your application. Do not post original documents.

When applying from overseas - The Western Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will consider current photocopied and certified overseas identification documents equivalent to those stated in the identification lists. Do not post original documents.

Further information is available on the identification requirements page.

Certification requirements

Photocopies of identification will only be accepted if they are certified by a qualified person as being "true copies" of the original documents.

Legalising documents for use in overseas countries

Note: Some overseas countries require Australian documents to be authenticated. Refer to Smartraveller - Legalising Documents for further information on this requirement.

Phone, fax, email or online applications

The Registry is unable to accept applications by phone, fax, email or online.

Last updated: 12-Jul-2016

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | HR Kiosk  | Login
Department of the Attorney General |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.