Skip to main content
Department of the Attorney General
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Marriage Frequently Asked Questions

If I was not married in Western Australia can I apply for a copy of my marriage certificate at the Perth Registry Office?

No, you must contact the Registry Office in the state, territory or country in which your marriage occurred. See BDM Locations for other Australian and overseas registry offices.

How do I apply for a copy of my marriage certificate?

If you were married in WA, you must provide the Registry with the following:

For full details please see Marriage Certificate.

Can I apply for a copy of another person's marriage certificate?

If the certificate relates to a person other than yourself and you do not qualify under the Registry's Marriage Certificate Access Policy you must provide the written consent or authority from an eligible person. You must also provide identification for yourself and that person for whom you are acting.

There is unrestricted access and no identification requirements are needed for marriages that occurred 75 years ago or more.

For further details on applying for a copy of a marriage certificate see Marriage Certificate.

Do I need to provide identification when I apply for a copy of my marriage certificate? 

Yes, unless the marriage occurred more than 75 years ago. See identification requirements.

What is the cost of a copy of a marriage certificate and what methods of payment are accepted?

See Fees for full details.

Can I apply for a copy of my marriage certificate over the telephone, by fax, email or online?

No, all applications must be made either in person or by mail, see Marriage Certificate.

Where is the Perth Registry Office located and what is the postal address?

Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace
PERTH  WA  6000
Phone: 1300 305 021
Fax: (08) 9264 1599

PO Box 7720
Cloisters Square

What are the Perth Registry Office's hours of business?

8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

To avoid the usual busy times please consider visiting the Perth Registry between 8:30am to 10am or 2pm to 4pm.

How do I get a marriage licence?

Marriage licences are no longer issued. To get married, a Notice of Intended Marriage form must be lodged with the person performing your marriage ceremony. For more details, see Getting Married.

We would like to marry in a church.  Do we need to come to the Registry and lodge any forms?

No. You should lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage form with the minister at the church at least one calendar month before the ceremony.

How quickly can I get married?

One calendar month must elapse from the date a Notice of Intended Marriage form is lodged with the celebrant to the date of the ceremony, unless special permission is granted in extenuating circumstances.

Can I find out a person's married surname?

No, records in the Registry office are confidential.

Can I marry an overseas resident?

Yes, a person's residence is not a factor to marriage.

We intend to get married overseas, what do we do?

Contact the consul or embassy of the country in which you want to get married and ask their advice, as the requirements differ.

Advice can also be sought from the Commonwealth Attorney General's Department, Canberra. You should ensure that the ceremony will be recognised not only by the law of the overseas country but also under Australian law, ie the marriage should be legally similar in nature to a marriage conducted in Australia, in that you were both over the age of 18 years, free to marry (single, divorced or widowed) and you are not in a prohibited relationship (ie, too closely related).  

Once married, it is advisable to obtain a marriage certificate from the registering authority of the overseas country before returning to Australia.

We were married overseas, do we have to register in Australia?

No, there is no provision to register an overseas marriage in any Australian Registry Office. If the marriage in the overseas country is recognised by the authorities of that country as a legal marriage, you obtained a marriage certificate from that country's registering authority and in general terms the marriage would be a valid marriage in Australia (eg. couple over 18 years of age, not married to someone else, not closely related to each other, etc.), the marriage should be recognised in Australia.

If I get married overseas will it be recognised here?

For information regarding the validity of overseas marriages, you should contact the Commonwealth Attorney General's Department, Canberra for advice.

I need a certificate to say I have not been married before or am not currently married.  Does the Registry provide this?

Yes. It is called a Result of Search certificate. For further details see Single Status Certificate.

How do I become a civil marriage celebrant?

See Becoming a Celebrant on the Commonwealth Attorney General's Department website or contact:

Marriage Celebrant Unit
Family Law Branch
Attorney General's Department
Robert Garran Offices
National Circuit
Barton ACT 2600

I want a divorce, how do I go about it?

Please direct your enquiries to a lawyer or the Family Court of Western Australia at:

Family Court
of the Attorney General
150 Terrace Road
PERTH   WA  6000
Phone: (08) 9224 8222
Fax: (08) 9224 8360
Counselling Service: (08) 9224 8248 or 1800 199 228 (Toll Free)

Last updated: 12-Jul-2016

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | HR Kiosk  | Login
Department of the Attorney General |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.