Proof of residency
If you wish to apply for a change of name in Western Australia and you were NOT born in this State (that is you were born either interstate or overseas):
- You must be a permanent resident of Australia or an Australian citizen and you must also have been ordinarily residing in Western Australia for a continuous period of twelve (12) months immediately preceding the date of your application.
Note: You must provide a minimum of two separate forms of documentary evidence that you have been living or have been ordinarily resident in Western Australia for the twelve (12) months immediately preceding your application.
Evidence of residency must be in the form of documentation that states your current address, and if applicable any previous Western Australian address within the last twelve months, and show a twelve month history of your residency in Western Australia, for example:
- current WA driver's licence - if photocopy is provided, include both sides;
- electricity or gas accounts;
- shire/water rates;
- telephone accounts;
- bank statements showing twelve months of transactions conducted within Western Australia
- recent official correspondence from a government service provider (not Registry) dated within twelve months showing a Western Australian residential address; or
- confirmation on letterhead, from Centrelink of your past twelve months residential addresses as recorded by them.
- All photocopies of documents must be certified as true copies by an authorised person (see list below)
- The Registrar can refuse to register a change of name.
- The Registry will not accept any papers that do not have a date of issue displayed.
- Evidence of your current residency should not be older than twelve months (except your WA photo driver's licence) and must show transactions or some other form of evidence that you have resided in Western Australia for the preceding twelve months.
- In extraordinary circumstance the Registry may accept evidence of residency older than twelve months but not older than eighteen months. You must discuss this with Registry staff before lodging your application.
- By signing the change of name application you are authorising the Registry at its discretion to conduct checks with appropriate agencies to verify the information in your application including the authenticity of your documentation.