Skip to main content
Department of the Attorney General
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Register a Birth

It is a legal requirement that you register the birth of your child. The Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1998 requires that both parents complete and sign a Birth Registration Form. If only one parent has signed, he or she must attach a letter to the Registrar explaining why the other parent has not signed.

The Birth Registration Form must be completed and lodged with the Registry within 60 days. Registration is free. The form will be supplied by the hospital or midwife who delivered the baby. The instructions should be read carefully before completing and signing, as accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the parents. Assistance to complete a Birth Registration Form is available from Registry staff.

Naming your child is a matter of choice. For your child's family name you can use the mother's family name, the father's family name, a combination of the two with or without a hyphen, or any other family name. You may not choose a name that is obscene, offensive, unreasonably long or contrary to the public interest.

A birth certificate is required to apply for a passport or a child's bank account. A fee is payable for this document. You can also capture the excitement and joy of your child's birth in a unique and lasting way with a Commemorative birth certificate.

Irrespective of whether the child's parents are married, the father must sign the Birth Registration Form so that his details can be included on the birth certificate. In certain circumstances, the father's details can be included without the signature of both parents. Further information is available from Registry staff.

Registering births from same sex relationships

Same sex female parents have the right to record the names of both women on their child’s birth registration, with the consent of the de facto partner. Since September 2002, when a child is born in Western Australia through artificial fertilisation procedures, the birth can be registered using the "Same Sex Parents Birth Registration Form".

If the hospital or midwife who delivered the baby is unable to supply the "Same Sex Parents Birth Registration Form", please contact a Registry Team Supervisor or Manager on (08) 9264 1509, (08) 9264 1532 or (08) 9264 1502.

Last updated: 12-Jul-2016

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | HR Kiosk  | Login
Department of the Attorney General |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.