Skip to main content
Department of the Attorney General
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Single Status Certificate

Overseas marriage authorities often require evidence a party to the marriage is free to marry. Such evidence may be a Result of Marriage Certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

This certifies that you have never been married in Western Australia, or if previously married, no further marriage has been registered in Western Australia.

Identification requirements

If applying for a certificate in person three forms of your original identification documents or clear photocopied and certified identification documents must be provided.

If applying by post, three forms of clear photocopied and certified identification documents must be posted with your application. Do not post original documents.

If applying from overseas - The Western Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will consider current photocopied and certified overseas identification documents equivalent to those stated in the identification lists. Do not post original documents.

Further information is available on the identification requirements page.

If you are applying for a search and Result of Search Certificate on behalf of another person, a letter of authority from the person requiring the certificate must be provided (see Letter of Authority download below). Three forms of current suitable identification for the applicant and that person must also be provided.

Certification requirements

Photocopies of identification will only be accepted if they are certified by a qualified person as being "true copies" of the original documents.

Information about who can certify documents is attached to the downloadable application form.

Legalising documents for use in overseas countries

Note: Some overseas countries require Australian documents to be authenticated. Refer to Smartraveller - Legalising Documents for further information on this requirement.

Where do I apply?

We are located at Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace, Perth. The public counter is open Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm (except public holidays).

Post correspondence to:

Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
Department of the Attorney General

PO Box 7720
Cloisters Square


A search fee is charged for each ten year period (or part thereof) required to be searched and includes the issue of a Result of Search Certificate.

Payment is accepted by:

  • Credit card (MasterCard or Visa only)
  • Cheque/money order.

Cheques or money orders should be made payable to: Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Note: Overseas applicants must pay in Australian dollars by quoting credit card details (Visa or MasterCard only) or using an international money order or bank draft. No other form of payment can be accepted by the Registry.

The certificate fee includes regular domestic or overseas airmail postal delivery.

Note:  Due to continually changing postal services and differing costs the Registry cannot provide advice or arrange for postal services other than the regular domestic or overseas airmail postal delivery. If Express, Registered or Priority mail delivery is needed the applicant must make their own arrangements and provide the necessary self-addressed envelope. Refer below:

Customers within Australia (only if required by the applicant)

Registered Post or Express Post: Please enclose a self-addressed Registered Post or Express Post envelope with your application.

Overseas customers (only if required by the applicant)

Priority delivery: Please arrange for a courier service to collect document/s from the Registry at Westralia Square, Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000 (8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays).

If you are arranging a courier please include this information in your application.

Delivery times

The search process and issue of the Result of Search Certificate may take up to five working days plus regular postal delivery time. Applications for searches in Western Australia can only be lodged at the Perth Registry office.

Last updated: 31-May-2016

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | HR Kiosk  | Login
Department of the Attorney General |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.