Searching Western Australian Online Indexes
The registry offers free online historic index searching of births, deaths and marriages
To search from the index select from the birth, death and marriage radio buttons
The following tips may assist you in your search:
- The more details you enter, the more filtered your search results. However, this approach may lead to relevant records not being displayed if an exact match is not found.
- If you are unsure of spelling, try typing the first couple of letters of a name. For example, enter "math" if you don’t know if you are looking for "Mathieson" or "Matheson".
- Try entering the person’s surname and a range of years only in the relevant search fields. This may result in more index entries from which you may locate any entry of interest.
- Widen the range of search years: A birth, death or marriage that occurred late in a year may not have been registered until the following year. Alternatively, the event may have occurred in a year earlier than previously known.
- Refrain from including apostrophes in names e.g. O'Brien, D'Silva etc. Although this punctuation may be in the registration, it is not generally included in the online indexes.
- To broaden your search you can prefix the field with the '%' key. For example, if you type '%Mary', the search will return all instances of that name contained anywhere within that field eg Mary Jane, Emily Mary, Maryllia, etc.
- Similarly, if you enter '%Ver', the search will list all instances of that string of letters contained anywhere within that field eg Vera, Veronica, Oliver, Beverley, etc.
For detailed information about the index, see:
You will need Adobe reader to view the order form. If you do not have Adobe reader,
click 'help' on the top navigation bar and scroll down to download a free version.
You can search the Western Australian birth, death or marriage indexes by clicking each of the radio buttons below:
Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
141 St Georges Terrace
PERTH WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 9264 1555
Facsimile: (08) 9264 1599
Western Australian Online Index data appearing on this website is subject to State
copyright. Other than for the purposes of and subject to the conditions prescribed
under the Copyright Act 1968, no part of it may in any form or by any means
(electronic, mechanical, microcopying, photocopying, recording or otherwise) be
reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted without prior written permission.
[ Back to Top